Friday 17 January 2014

Time to get running again

Next month, I'm taking part in the Charnwood Hills Race - an event I've done pretty much annually for about eight years. The fourteen mile course runs from Martin School in Anstey, across Bradgate Park, over Broombrigg, around Beacon Hill and back and as it is held on the first Sunday of February, it's usually bitterly cold and very muddy.



The 2012 race, trailblazing through deep snow (copyright www.theracephotographer.com)


 For the past year or so, and with limited time, I've switched my efforts over the past year or so from running to cycling, so in order to take part in the CHR I've been cramming in the runs for about a month.
Some observations
The long distance cycling has allowed me to retain my stamina, but the muscles involved with running are clearly very different to cycling, and I've found that even short distance runs of 10k or so have left me with sore calves. I'm very aware that switching activity this way I risk damaging muscles and tendons (especially the latter) unless I warm up and stretch properly.

To manage my runs I've been using Strava on my iPhone. Here's an example of yesterday's lunchtime session:


A friend who runs a lot suggested that running is a good cross-training exercise for cyclist, but the benefits don't necessarily transfer the other way around.

With just a couple of weeks left until the race, the plan is to run 10k twice a week, and then get some longer 10+ mile runs in at the weekend - ideally over the same terrain as the CHR.
 For the past few years, I've come pretty close to the back of the pack and I'm not expecting any significant change this year - fingers crossed, I'll get round in once piece and not do too much damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment